Dragonball Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War I

Go down

World War I Empty World War I

Post  meodingu Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:03 pm

World War I
Main article: Tanks in World War I
British World War I Mark V tank

On 20 February 1915, the Landship Committee of the Admiralty was formed on the orders of the First Lord of the Admiralty, Winston Churchill,[9] The chief constructor for the Royal Navy, Eustace Tennyson-d'Eyncourt (later Sir Tennyson-d'Eyncourt) headed the board of naval architects which formed the basis of the Landship Committee. Although there were many inventors, writers, and military men that have been credited with being the inventor of the tank, none of them possessed the initiation and sustaining actions required to actually produce a standard issue military tank.[10] On January 1916, the Landship Committee under the leadership of Tennyson-d'Eyncourt had overseen the production of man's first standard issue military tank, the "Mother Tank"; this Mark Series of "Male" (cannon armed) and "Female" (machinegun armed) tanks would go on to fight in histories first tank action at the Somme in August 1916.[9][11]

The next tank to engage in battle was designated D1, a British Mark I, during the Battle of Flers-Courcellette on 15 September 1916.[12]
Renault FT-17 tanks, here operated by the US army, pioneered the use of a fully traversable turret and served as pattern for most modern tanks.

In contrast to World War II, Germany fielded very few tanks during World War I, with only 15 of the A7V type being produced in Germany during the war.[13] The first tank versus tank action took place on 24 April 1918 at Villers-Bretonneux, France, when three British Mark IVs met three German A7Vs. Though both sides revealed serious flaws, the British prevailed.[14]

Under the influence of Colonel Jean-Baptiste Eugène Estienne the French pioneered the use of a full 360º rotation, fully traversable, turret in a tank for the first time in 1917, with the creation and deployment of the Renault FT-17 light tank, with the turret containing the tank's main armament. Aside of the traversable turret another innovative feature of the FT-17 was about its engine located on the back on the tank rather than the front. This pattern, with the gun located on a mounted turret and with the engine on the back, became the standard for most succeeding tanks across the world even to this day (with some exception like modern Israeli tanks where the engine is on the front).[15]

Mechanical problems, poor mobility and piecemeal tactical deployment limited the military significance of the tank in World War I, and the tank did not fulfill its promise of rendering trench warfare obsolete. Nonetheless, it was clear to military thinkers on both sides that tanks would play a significant role in future conflicts.[16]

meodingu

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down